Sleep is a naturally recurring state of mind and body characterized by altered consciousness, relatively inhibited sensory activity, inhibition of nearly all voluntary muscles, and reduced interactions with surroundings.
Sleep plays a vital role in good health and wellbeing throughout your life. The way you feel while you’re awake depends in part on what happens while you’re sleeping.
1. Improves our sense of wellbeing and makes us less likely to have mood swings, sadness, depression or suicidal tendencies.
2. Is crucial for growth in children and plays a key role in fertility development for teenagers.
3. Enables us to feel rested, which in turn helps us to be alert and attentive when awake and therefore prevents accidents caused by drowsiness.
4. Plays a key role in learning, as the sleeping brain forges new pathways for memory retention.
5. Enables us to make sound decisions and to be creative, more fun and highly motivated.
6. Strengthens memories or “practice” skills learned while you were awake.
7. Affects quality of life.
8. Reduces blood levels of inflammatory protein.
9. Improves your sports performance.
10. Increases weight loss.
Go ahead, snooze!